- - - - -

Taken for a Ride - Public Transport in the Last Century

3 replies to this topic

#1 status - Infrastructure

status - Infrastructure
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2017 - 11:46 PM

Taken for a Ride - The U.S. History of the Assault on Public Transport in the Last Century

How the freeways took over public transportation and why. Anyone who lives in traffic clogged city knows the inherent frustration traversing the speed ways. Los Angeles used to have trains until they were removed in favor of the highway.
Electric transportation was the norm in the those days. Too bad electric powered public transportation hasn't developed as well as it should be. 

This documentary will show how the auto and oil industries pushed for more roads to sustain more cars. A sustainable market plan for years and years to come.

The new infrastructure plan should reflect on these issues. Community transportation should profit the general public most of all. 

#2 Feathers

Feathers

Premium Member

• Moderators
  • 597 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 12:05 AM

:Good_One:  

Considering Trump is planning to tackle the infrastructure soon it would behoove us all the learn as much as possible about how it all works. Its many subsidiaries and contractors working to influence the transportation control laws, ordinances from the counties and states, and ultimately leading to the federal governments control methods....and beyond! Which mostly benefits the money men anyways. The public is always secondary when it comes to public transportation. Modern infrastructure is what America needs. Whatever Trump plans will last for decades to come. I'm wondering if he can pull off a major building project to reach the ages...

:Egg-icon:

Too optimistic?

:Shrug:

We'll see...

:Heavy:

Posted Image

#3 status - Jackrabbit

status - Jackrabbit
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2017 - 12:18 AM

I love the propaganda methods used to sell the public on building a major freeway and toll road system. Using promotional films and inside influence from the military and major industries a massive propaganda squeeze was pushed forward by the Eisenhower administration. The highway trust fund was enacted using the gas tax. Half the proceeds were used to build the interstate highway system. Even the clergy was called in to sell it. Children weren't immune to the advertisements either; all of it too make the world a safer place. I've heard that before.

#4 Feathers

Feathers

Premium Member

• Moderators
  • 597 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 12:26 AM

Still, the country needs a major overhaul in all facets of the infrastructure. Trump likes to build. I say let him build. Learning from past mistakes and the history of crooked business practices should help steer things in a positive direction. Benefiting the public more.

Posted Image

Reply to this topic