#36 Rufus

Rufus

Premium Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 February 2018 - 01:43 PM

I suppose I should end this thread with a some sort of conclusion.

Reading artfully isn't the only kind of reading there is. You don't have to read a classic to fully appreciate what reading can do for you. My hope was to create a sense for others to enjoy the benefits of reading. I hope I met the goal by arranging sets of questions and tools for readers to use for their own convenience. 

Artful reading doesn't have to be a chore. You don't have to run through the whole checklist to feel satisfied in reading a good book. Maybe asking one or two questions to analyze things is enough. Applying all the lessons mentioned in this thread doesn't have to be the main focus. You might just think about the characters or plot or stop a third of the way through a book and take stock to formulate questions and make predictions. No one is obligated to read or even finish a book. Sometimes it's important to remember that you might not be in the right mood for a particular novel. Or the destabilizing event at the beginning of a story may be something a reader may find unsettling and cause one to put it down. All kinds of reasons exist...maybe a few that don't either.

:chuckle:

Book clubs generate lots of discussion and so does reading for school. In those instances, one is obligated to at least finish the book under scrutiny. Classes or meetings need to be met with an open mind and questions should indicate a willingness to learn. Especially from others as it helps in generating good questions for discussion. Last of all there is close reading. This involves looking at a paragraph or particular passage and thinking about the language used. Playing around with the words and perhaps changing around the order to see how it looks from different angles. Practicing the tools of reading helps one to be more alert to verbal nuances and different textures of meaning. A good reader should look for practical and personal benefits within the stories. Fiction and non-fiction alike. 

I'll conclude with one final question: 

Has a book ever taught you something about yourself - something you didn't know before you began reading?

:Flying:  

:hangingfromastar:

#37 Feathers

Feathers

Premium Member

• Moderators
  • 647 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:14 PM

MB4CTEB.gif

:chuckle:

Might as well add a few links to some libraries -

Internet Archive is a non-profit library of millions of free books, movies, software, music, and more.

:Egg-icon:

Download 700 free eBooks to your Kindle, iPad/iPhone, computer, smart phone or ereader. Collection includes great works of fiction, non-fiction and poetry, including works by Asimov, Jane Austen, Philip K. Dick, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Neil Gaiman, Tolstoy, Dostoevsky, Shakespeare, Ernest Hemingway, Virginia Woolf & James Joyce. Also please see our collection of Free Audio Books, where you can download more great books to your computer or mp3 player.++

presents

Banned Books Online

All downloadable, all free...

:falling_leaves3:

Posted Image

Reply to this topic