Feathers

Premium Member

• Moderators
  • 660 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 03:22 PM

Get 'em while they're young!

http://www.azquotes....n-142-33-74.jpg

A point to consider....

Yes. It is a good point. But I don't think it's the only art that appeals to the young:

The Art of War

Video games constantly drive that point home ... Only those that control these 'games' sing songs that fill young minds with ideals that awaken the heart but leave the mind malleable.

Posted Image

#104 status - Guest

status - Guest
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2018 - 06:23 PM

Have we forgotten?

Natural sounds are uploaded and downloaded all the time.

They transmit messages of all sorts.

My, how far we have come. Man made natural sounds have always been a mode of long distance texting.

Natural sounds and light are still being used to transmit over long distances. 

How about a bell? Does that ring in the mind of transparency? Its summons signifies simple transmissions . Drums do too. They give a complex structure in communicating over long distances. Lighthouses and beacon fires still give us old school visual signs from afar. Flags and flying feathers are also used as messaging services. 

Speaking of birds...

Animals add their own messages and warnings when one knows what to listen for. Even their movements and behaviors will signify times of plenty and times of danger. So do the rains and the rivers, the lakes and streams, along with the seas and oceans. They all communicate their moods. Noticing the lights in the sky gives us a natural reference of to the layers of time within our entire natural system. 

Never mind the time...which one? 

Long count, short count, middle count more.

So many clocks spinning the seasons of our lives forward. 

Save the daylight and mimic the night with the science of technical communication.

Technology can destroy or enhance our perceptions towards the natural environment we all walk on. 

The dirt, the fire, the air, and the water.

The Earth is speaking...

Are we listening?

How to truly listen | Evelyn Glennie

In this soaring demonstration, deaf percussionist Evelyn Glennie illustrates how listening to music involves much more than simply letting sound waves hit your eardrums. 

#105 status - Guest

status - Guest
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2018 - 07:58 PM

giphy.gif

#106 Ghost in the Machine

Ghost in the Machine

Premium Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 01:24 PM

The wild world of rock and roll music is typically associated with the likes of Mick Jagger, Elvis Presley and Jim Morrison strutting their stuff before raucous crowds. It most likely does not readily bring to mind the visage of a grim-faced Sigmund Freud contemplating the dark secrets of the unconscious mind while ponderously smoking his analytic cigar. Yet, while seemingly inhabiting disparate worlds, the biggest names in rock history can be meaningfully linked with the biggest star of psychoanalysis' past because they have all been concerned with the same sorts of stuff--the free expression of id-drenched feelings and images. When Jagger snarls to his audience that he "can't get no satisfaction," or when Morrison sings of wanting to kill his father and possess his mother, or when Iggy Pop's expressions take a turn toward the perverse in I Wanna Be Your Dog, who would have understood better the inner forces at work than bearded old Uncle Sigmund?

The term rock and roll is itself, of course, a reference to sexual intercourse that Freud would have well appreciated. However, the similarities between rock music and psychoanalysis go deeper than their shared early preoccupations with sexuality. Both disciplines evolved in similar directions from their early erotic obsessions, expanding their focus to more varied and nuanced experiences, encompassing such themes as vulnerability, loss, self-esteem needs and even the nature of reality. Whereas psychoanalysis branched out from Freud to D. W. Winnicott, Ph.D., Heinz Kohut, Ph.D., and Wilfred Bion, Ph.D., rock evolved from Elvis Presley to Elvis Costello, Talking Heads and Nirvana. Rock and psychoanalysis, seemingly universes apart, can in some ways be a match made in heaven. The former provides the perfect vehicle for free creative introspective expression, while the latter provides the ideal framework for understanding and decoding what those expressions are all about.

While Freud mostly ignored musical topics in his own writing, it is likely even he would have acknowledged that the rock album format has many advantageous features for facilitating the expression of the intrapsychic experience (Brog, 2002). Music itself has long been recognized as carrying the power to instill deeply felt feeling states in the listener. These emotions may invite the listener to share in the artists' emotional world or feel more forcibly thrust upon the listener. These communications can be considered to function as a projective identification (Brog, 1995). Additionally, music, in its composition and arrangement, can take the form of a variety of intrapsychic defensive constellations. For example, a peaceful melody may repeatedly cover over an underlying disturbing musical rhythm, thereby conveying a form of defensive suppression. An endless variety of expressions relating drive, defense and affect can be embodied into the composition and arrangement of a song.

The addition of lyrics and an album format naturally adds further communicative potentialities. Lyrical expressions exude enhanced emotional presence when resonating with musically conveyed feelings. Music, as a powerful conveyor of emotions, can serve to clarify, amplify or even contradict the emotional elements suggested in the accompanying lyrical narrative. Artists attuned to the creative possibilities inherent in the intertwining of words and music may use their songs as a vehicle for the expression of inner experience, the depths and complexity of which can transcend what the words or music could individually convey.

Additionally, stringing together songs in an album format (with the addition of the album cover and inner packaging) adds numerous associative possibilities to the mix. The arrangement may imply an inchoate storyline, as in the Beatles' Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band or the Who's Tommy. The sequence of songs allows the listener to identify overarching themes and their variations across an album. As with an analysand's free associative productions across a session, we would expect the whole to be greater than the sum of its parts in an effective rock album of thematically linked songs. Many gifted performers have fully voiced their introspective creative expressions using these features. The richness and vividness of these albums creates an undeniably evocative and affectively charged listening experience--one that to this modern-day follower of Freud compellingly invites psychoanalytic investigation.

7mDFXjl.gif

#107 status - Guest

status - Guest
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2018 - 11:42 AM

https://youtu.be/LVoVr9UwOQM

It's interesting to me because music conveys so much power in our society the world over. A common language. Words themselves mean nothing in the overall context of the sounds created. A simple melody by itself creates stimulus/inhibitors all by themselves. Sure, I can relate to the lyrics of a song, but, if the melody or rhythm doesn't move me it means nothing. At least to me. I'm seeing a diminishment in the quality of music (maybe because I'm getting old and think the younger generations music sounds like a dog with laryngitis). It used to be a musician had to be proficient within themselves to play any kind of instrument. Rock offered virtuoso types of players. I think this caused a more positive result because it influenced 15 million guitar players to practice, practice, practice. Giving them more of a desire to learn and critically think about how to put a song together in creative ways.

Rap, on the other hand, seems to be more about the me, me, me. Lyrics, rhymes, and limericks offering negative stimulus to the young. The beats are lower in frequency creating a deeper hypnotism within the dancers. Originating from the crotch, so to speak, and staying there. Rising no higher.

Today, using computers, anyone can create beats and sounds, mix them together using the basic song structures without knowing any theory or putting in the practice necessary to master an instrument. That's just in a pop culture sort of sense. Surface garbage that keeps us from looking deeper into ourselves and others.

Then there is the music in movies and TV. For the most part it's classical in its approach. Causing all kinds of emotional value to enhance the visuals on the screen. Star Wars would be a shitty movie without the genius of John Williams.....

https://youtu.be/bnlvPoDU5LY

Good point. I notice the difference in 'quality' between what is called 'pop' music on the charts compared to the music in the movies. Music seems to be more thoughtful when it's combined with film. It seems like the movie itself dictates the musical value. Where as with a music video it's the music which dictates the images. Or it's supposed to. I remember a time when just listening to music brought its own imagery into the mind. Now, without a video a song has no meaning. Which begs a question or two? How much control do today's artists get in their own marketing value? Does an artist get to convey his/her own meaning into the music anymore?

Reply to this topic