• PipPipPipPip
  • 830 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 13 August 2015 - 08:06 AM

…of crows.

crow-enjoying-catfight.gif

Gotcha!

Catchy title; all is well.
No, no, nothing so mundane as to the reason one MAY have on clicking such a lurid sounding thread tile. Would that be full retard? IDK, I’ll leave that to the constant reader.

....thank SK for my little ripoff

OK, that all said, now to my little story about a murder of crows…

I like birds. Observing birds, listening to birds play their music. Sitting everyday outside, to breathe and be. One finds, after a while, certain melodies going on among many different kinds of rhythms. All going on all at once. It’s good for practical reasons, as well: discerning melodies and rhythms for my own musical diversions is one.

Crow calls in particular are striking! All kinds of calls. Ones, two’s, threes, fours, and more. All with different tones and pitches. Gathered together, in their murdering way, these phrasings seem to become entire paragraphs of communication amongst them all. Each individual bird a part to a much larger phrasing structure. Each individual crow adding a syllable, a word, a phrase.  Along with commas, periods, exclamation points, the whole shazzam.  They put on quite a show when large murders cackle their conspiracies.

I’ve noticed distinct melodies. Sometimes, my own weak attempts at mimicking their rhythms causes a response. Once, while observing just a couple of them interact in a tree, I started up the usual plagiarism of musical phrasings. Apparently, I must have hit some sweet notes. The response was immediate! Both flew off in opposite directions. Distinct chatter could be heard. Not a moment later, groups from North and South converged in the tree in front of me and started up the band! It was awesome. A great show.

I did, of course, join in ~ and they got louder and softer. Distinct communication. This went on for a good three or four minutes. Enough for a really good song on the spirit of radio. It was a Rush!

Well, that’s how I managed to orchestrate a murder of crows. Next time, I’ll try to remember to video tape it for posterity. I suppose just paying attention is all it really takes to talk to birds. Because they Do pay attention!

FQQkuxh.jpg

:wub:

#2 Ludikrus

Ludikrus

Premium Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 830 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 13 August 2015 - 11:50 AM

birds-on-a-wire-425ds091609.jpg

Jarbas Agnelli is a Brazillian filmmaker and composer with an impressive ad portfolio. His short ‘Birds on a Wire’ has gotten a lot of buzz, and features around 40 Crows sitting on telephone wires posing as musical notes.

Link:  Birds on a Wire

I seem to recall seeing this on a thread from somewhere. :)
Ah, yes, I knew I did...

Link:  Man takes picture of birds on electric wires, plays them like musical notes.

#3 Ludikrus

Ludikrus

Premium Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 830 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 13 August 2015 - 11:52 AM

This informative documentary talks about how smart crows really are.  Makes one wonder!  :D

#4 Forster Woods

Forster Woods

Premium Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 12:22 PM

gfinieI.jpg

#5 Ludikrus

Ludikrus

Premium Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 830 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 13 August 2015 - 02:16 PM

;)

tonto_med.gif

#6 Ghost in the Machine

Ghost in the Machine

Premium Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 02:26 PM

gallery_1_5_8235.jpeg

7mDFXjl.gif

#7 status - Guest

status - Guest
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2015 - 10:30 PM

:falling_leaves3:

crows-tease-animals-peck-bite-tails-trol

;)

#8 status - Creb

status - Creb
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2015 - 12:54 PM

Why might crows be promising animals to study? Of course, crows are reputed to be clever. Aesop’s famous fable “The Crow and the Pitcher” tells of a crow solving a challenging problem: the thirsty crow drops pebbles into a pitcher with water near the bottom, thereby raising the fluid level high enough to permit the bird to drink. Such tales are charming and provocative, but science cannot rely on them.

Crows Understand Analogies

What birds can teach us about animal intelligence

http://www.scientifi...tand-analogies/

crows_1_1712.jpg

Tool using has now been observed in several species since the chimpanzee showed us that we are not alone in the use of implements. The New Caledonian crow has joined the rook, the Eurasian jay and the Egyptian vulture in the bird tool users club. The University of Auckland has long established how the animal uses tools such as Pandanus leaves in its forest habitat and uses some novel material to make tools under experimental conditions too.

http://www.earthtime...ows-tools/1719/

7GHaUWA.gif

:falling_leaves3:

#9 status - Guest

status - Guest
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2016 - 01:04 PM

Good story!

It's funny how synchronicity occurs from time to time. Especially when any group of birds pays to attention to you paying attention to them.

:Good_One:

#10 Feathers

Feathers

Premium Member

• Moderators
  • 411 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 11:52 AM

gallery_1_5_8235.jpeg

Good story!

It's funny how synchronicity occurs from time to time. Especially when any group of birds pays to attention to you paying attention to them.

:Good_One:

Clever thread, OP. I like the musical quality to it. Listening to the sounds that birds make is something I enjoy paying attention too. They have their own way of musical rhythms and phrasing. Creating distinct punctuations in their communication with each other. Crows aren't the only birds to do this. Mocking jays offer all kinds different phrases to use for musical inspiration. Cardinals and woodpeckers manage to create interesting rhythms to help build musical composition for people to be inspired by. Melodies of all kinds forming harmony to delight the ear.

Posted Image

Reply to this topic