#21 Ludikrus

Ludikrus

Premium Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 19 July 2016 - 12:15 PM

Many people leave out birdseed for feathered-friends in the neighborhood, although few get anything in return besides a lovely view of the birds, and a patio polluted with seeds. Eight-year-old Gabi Mann from Seattle, Washington started feeding the crows in her family’s garden, and now this lucky little girl gets gifts from the crows.

It was this routine that started the gift giving. The crows consume all of the peanuts left out in the feeders and sporadically leave behind a treasured trinket in return, such as an earring, polished rock, or hinge. Basically anything shiny and small enough to fit inside of a crow’s mouth has been found in the feeders.

Some of the gifts are truly incredible, like a piece of metal with the word “best” stamped on it. Gabi finds it funny to think one of the crows is wearing the matching half that says “friend.”

http://www.earthporm...fts-from-crows/

https://youtu.be/HWXe7Js6GnI

#22 status - Caw

status - Caw
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2016 - 09:43 AM

2443d01b426f3d83b986c15f398ace1b.jpg

:funny-chicken-dancing:

#23 status - Guest

status - Guest
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:07 PM

https://youtu.be/IBjpfiE2qbo

:chuckle:

#24 status - Guest

status - Guest
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2017 - 06:51 PM

c7b1e64890b09e1cc59331f6d85b5e78.png

#25 status - Guest

status - Guest
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2017 - 03:00 PM

You had me going with that title there OP.

#26 Ludikrus

Ludikrus

Premium Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 30 April 2017 - 03:06 PM

#27 Red

Red

Premium Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 April 2017 - 04:28 PM

#28 Ludikrus

Ludikrus

Premium Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:21 PM

The birds were a lively group today. Mr. and Mrs. Hawk came around to let everyone know who rules the roost. The crows were out there too. Hanging in the background. Signaling one another with a subdued and subtle frequency. Something was in the air which made the hawks come in low among the pine trees. They both came in close from the other side of the glade. Of course they were talkin their swagger with those piercing cries and low chirps to one another. It was something to see and they didn't take much notice of me. Maybe they did and didn't care. Who knows. But I was close.

Then a quick shower of rain came down as it does this time of year. Both hawks perched themselves and waited out the weather for a bit....

Their appearance didn't go unnoticed. The sparrows were pissed and started they're bad ass attitude. For such little birds they sure do try to cause a lot of trouble. Even the crows aren't safe from these little snappers. They swooped in to pester the bird closest to me. They're shrill priggish flutters were trying to drive the bigger birds away. Mr. Hawk was cool and calm. He didn't give a shit. Things settled down a bit after the usual bird banter. Along with a few peckish points thrown in. Obviously the hawks are moving in and the other birds are just going to have to get used to it.

After a time one of them swooped low over the lawn and grabbed a gardner snake right out of the grass. Spied it right quick coming into the yard. He came in swiftly and pecked on its head until it was dead then grabbed it with his beak and took off over the trees. I'm guessing there is a nest nearby. The other immediately followed and off to lunch they went.

They've been in the general neighborhood a while now so we'll just wait and see if a few more little hawks will be around soon.

uYyM0jz.gif

#29 status - Corvid

status - Corvid
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2017 - 10:37 PM

3b8c965faa3a166aa2ad48d5a3f29d5e.jpg

A new research paper has revealed that ravens and crows can determine whether or not a deal is fair.

Members of the corvid family, which include ravens, crows and jays, have long been known to possess a remarkable level of intelligence with the capacity to remember human faces, solve puzzles, navigate complex environments and even hold funerals for their own dead.

#30 status - Kooky Crow

status - Kooky Crow
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2017 - 12:02 AM

4a5f00c76cebf6fcc217b05188df2cfc.jpg

Reply to this topic