40 replies to this topic

#1 Digger

Digger

Premium Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 12:40 PM

Before their were movies there were power point presentations. Including sound effects and orchestras...

vicshow.jpg

The Magic Lantern is the forerunner of the modern slide projector. It has a long and complicated history and, like lots of fascinating inventions, many people were involved in its development. No one can say for sure who invented the Magic Lantern. It is part of the marvelous world of optical projection and stands alongside the Camera Obscura, Shadow Shows and the Magic Mirror. Like them the Magic Lantern has been used to educate, entertain and mystify audiences for hundreds of years.

Title02.JPG

:)

#2 Jesse Jimmie

Jesse Jimmie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 12:49 PM

Nice topic, Digger.  I remember my father having something like that when I was a kid.  He took lots of pictures and had them developed into slides. He would then put each one in a carousal container and attach it to the projector. Put up a big screen in the living room and we'd all look at the family photographs...

Brings back great memories.

:D

To Cluck or not to Cluck, that is the question...

#3 Digger

Digger

Premium Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 01:00 PM

Nice topic, Digger.  I remember my father having something like that when I was a kid.  He took lots of pictures and had them developed into slides. He would then put each one in a carousal container and attach it to the projector. Put up a big screen in the living room and we'd all look at the family photographs...

Brings back great memories.

:D

Yeah, me too.   :)

Of course, they were mostly just family pictures. Pretty boring stuff for people outside of the family. In the old days, before the movies, these kinds of 'movies' were quite popular.  Some of the projectors would allow for little movements within a frame. Nice effects to get a thrill for the audience. Some of those old shows were quite involved. 

Ever see one of those psychedelic shows from the 1960s?

FVHZI9RFG5PRD6Y.LARGE.jpg

#4 status - Guest

status - Guest
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2016 - 01:14 PM

#5 status - Guest

status - Guest
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2016 - 01:21 PM

History of the movies..

..this video is the first in a series on the history of the movie moghuls. It does mention some history on the magic laterns and their effect on society.

#6 Forster Woods

Forster Woods

Premium Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 02:58 PM

Old fashioned hollywooded American history. A jaded forest of directed propaganda...

Hollywood has been portraying the great American ideal for over a century. All ideas presented to you full in the fACE on the screen. Big screens, little screens, screens in your living room, screen in your bathroom, screens everywhere.

How have the effects of the majickal lantern changed society and it's behavior?

#7 Rufus Tullius

Rufus Tullius

Premium Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 January 2016 - 09:22 PM

I like anything old fashioned like this. It is a good topic!

Here's some more information on some old fashioned magic hypnotism!

Exhibit of Optical Toys

tumblr_nwldhfTaIp1r9jbwno1_500.gif

tumblr_mm3ikzTrSG1r9jbwno1_500.gif

Long before the time of Disney and Pixar, artists made images move using a variety of -scopes and -tropes: gadgets like zoetropes (which means “wheel of life”), phenakistoscopes (“deceptive viewer”), thaumatropes (“turning wonder viewer”), and praxinoscopes (“action viewer”), to name a few. These so-called “optical toys” created the illusion of continuous movement by combining drawings, slits, and mirrors. Victorian audiences were transfixed.

index-slices_05.gif

:wub:

#8 status - Guest

status - Guest
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2016 - 03:46 PM

Interesting thread!

Disney utilized the magic lantern technique quite well:

Explorations of Disney's Haunted Mansion. Ruminations and revelations concerning the history and artistry of the Disney parks' richest and most eccentric masterpiece. Based on the MiceChat discussion board phenomenon, "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect."

#9 Forster Woods

Forster Woods

Premium Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 01:16 PM

Interesting thread!

Disney utilized the magic lantern technique quite well:

Explorations of Disney's Haunted Mansion. Ruminations and revelations concerning the history and artistry of the Disney parks' richest and most eccentric masterpiece. Based on the MiceChat discussion board phenomenon, "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect."

:bumpsmall:

#10 Rolandvere

Rolandvere

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 10:35 AM

Green-Lantern-DC-Comics-Superman-joke-11

Reply to this topic